Monday, January 9, 2012

Not quite a novice, definitely not an expert (in other words: 2012 Goals)

With a skim of ice across all the area lakes and reservoirs, I've been going a bit stir crazy since Christmas.  I mean, from March until November of last year there were only 4 non-work days that I didn't fish!  Having responsibilities at home, it wasn't like I was out all day, but I was out before dawn and usually fished until shortly before noon - 5 or 6 hours per day of fishing. 


I loved fishing at this time; no crowds (except the impromptu bass tournaments once bass season started) and the lake is so peaceful at this time of day.  If you fished later on the day there was alot more recreational users of both the water and shoreline and while it's great to see people enjoying such a great resource I am surrounded by people the entire work-week and it's great to not have to feel the expectation of anyone other than myself for a short time.  The wildlife are much more active at this time as well and while I missed many photo shots, because I either forgot my camera or I couldn't get it out of the ziplock fast enough, I was able to get quite a bit on film as well.


So back to the point of this rambling:  what to do during this "off" season?  First off I decided I should set some goals for myself.  It seems kind of funny to say in this 'modern' age but many people (mostly other women) were amazed I went out by myself fishing.  This was especially true of my mother, who lives with me, despite the fact that at my age she had been expecting her first grandchild.  But it wasn't just her generation that was amazed.  Women of both a similar age and younger also alluded to the fact that they didn't think they would be comfortable going fishing and/or kayaking by themselves.


I have to admit, there where times when it was still pitch black outside and I'm walking down to the lake edge and it is a bit creepy.  This was especially true the pre-dawn morning I went to turn over my kayak (I have it moored at a nearby lake) and a huge toad hopped away.  Or a couple of weeks later when I discovered that a raccoon had crawled under it to die.  I don't know if that is any different from how a man would feel or not - and I found I grew in confidence as the summer went along.


The fact was though that I fished the whole year at one lake with the exception of a couple of days on the creek that runs through town.  I did this because it was comfortable.  This year I want to try new things and new places.  So, after a kind of long and convoluted path here are my goals:


  • Fish at least 5 new places, 3 of which from the kayak
  • Increase my skill and knowledge of fishing tactics, presentation and patterns.
  • Take my Mom, Aunt, and Uncle out to the lake fishing


I've already started taking steps for the first goal by researching the internet and visiting potential fishing spots.  For the second goal I've received and watched Jeff Little's Smallmouth River Tactics - Summer and plan on purchasing the Spring one soon.  I also plan to go on a guided kayak fishing trip that covers tactics, lures, and presentation on the Juniata river.  I have some training that I will have to late spring or early summer so I'm not sure when.  For the third goal, I took my Mother to the one reservoir that I plan on fishing this coming spring as it is quite pretty and one I thought to take my Uncle (I think she would rather go someplace where the "amenities" are present and close by).


So there you are, just a few simple goals which I can take active steps right now to make the most of 2012.  Fortunately I have the knowledge and expertise of my brother for all matters fly fishing and a co-worker for \ fishing in this region. 


So Good Casting to you in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment