Saturday, January 21, 2012

Fishing's 'Off-Season'

Winter has finally marked itself upon the Pennsylvania countryside with more than half a foot of snow last night on top of several inches from the previous night.  I had entertained thoughts of going down to the creek and practicing my fly-casting and perhaps fooling one of the trout remaining in the creek into trying out one of my San Juan worms or midges.  A morning of shoveling followed by a trip to the vet for one of my dogs (he's developed painful arthritis in his rear hips) has made the idea of standing creek-side in calf deep snow unappealing.  Instead I made a stock pot full of chili on to cook and settled down to read one of my Austen spin-offs (as in Jane Austen).  In the background the TV is on to the World Fishing Network and I look up from time to time when they discuss particularly interesting tactics/patterns for bass or walleye fishing.  I wonder what kind of fishing Jane would prefer?

It might seem at first to be somewhat incongruous that a Janeite (an admirer of Jane Austen and her literature) also loves to fish but only to those unfamiliar with the universal appeal of Austen's Books.  Austen's books are currently thought by many to be the province of women, but historically that is not the case at all...in fact there Kipling wrote of a group of soldiers during the Great War (WW I) who considered themselves Janeites.  Regardless, like Jane I take my daily pleasures where I can and while with Jane a walk about the countryside was one of her chief pleasures, with me it is fishing.

Life is not all fishing though and it is a joy to have the chance to catch up on my reading...especially my favorite Austen works.  Here's hoping that you use fishing's off-season as a balance for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment